Thanks to a grant, Healthiest Manitowoc County (HMC) has the capacity to provide the public personal locking and safety products for medications completely free of charge. Locking up medications can ensure that small children and individuals who suffer from substance use disorders cannot access these medications preventing potentially deadly situations.
HMC also encourages all community members to please properly dispose of medications once they are no longer needed. Manitowoc County has 4 permanent medication drop off locations throughout the county. Find a list of locations here along with instructions for disposing of medications at drop off locations.
Healthiest Manitowoc County Substance Use Prevention Coalition has the following products available!
1. Pictured is both our Lock Box and Lock Bag
- This bag has a lockable device on the top of the bag that will prevent others without the combination or a key from accessing what is inside. It is important to note that someone could cut into the bag, it is not destruction proof, however, this bag has portability which is nice for potential weekend trips or vacations.
- The box has a combination code that must be put in before the door will open.
2. The Deterra Drug Deactivation Kits
- Individuals wanting to dispose of medications are encouraged to bring medications to permanent drop off locations in the county, however, these pouches allow for someone to safely dispose of medications in their own home. Medications are emptied into the pouch with some water. The pouch is then closed and shaken up to allow the water and pouch materials to interact and deactivate medications. The pouch can then be thrown away. How to Use!
3. Dispose RX Deactivation Kits
- These are similar to our Deterra Deactivation kits. Instead pour the solution into your prescription container with water and shake to deactivate the medication. How to Use!
4. Manitowoc County Medication Drop Box Location Slips & Magnets
- Available to pickup with your product listing the locations and instructions for bringing medications to the permanent drop off locations. Please note these magnets are from 2019 and do not include the Mishicot drop off location. A list of locations and proper disposal guidelines can be found here.
How to Obtain a Lockable Safety Product
There are no restrictions to get these FREE products. You can either stop by our office or contact us!
Northeast Wisconsin Area Health Education Center (NEWAHEC)
925 S. 15th Street
Manitowoc, WI 54220