There are currently 4 work groups involved with the Investing Early Coalition focusing its work on ensuring children are ready for kindergarten and developing a comprehensive coordinated system of care for providing opportunities for healthy growth and development of all children from prenatal to 5 years of age.
- Reach Out and Read– A program that promotes early literacy through providers giving books at well baby checks as well as writing a “prescription” for parents to read aloud to their children. This group also helps promote the five early literacy practices; read, write, talk, sing, and play.
- Welcome Baby– A program that provides hospital visits to new and at risk mothers to assure awareness of community resources and provides an opportunity to sign up for the Connections Count or Home Visiting programs.
- Early Screening Team– A work group that assures that developmental screening is available to children at multiple sites in the community including health cares, daycares, and public screening events.
- Parent Cafes’– A work group that holds one a month cafes from October through May in order to provide parents the support and resilience they need to build relationships and build strong families.
Current Action Items
- Fundraising in order to purchase more books for the Reach Out and Read workgroup
- Performing ASQ developmental screenings by the Early Screening Team
If the Investing Early Coalition sounds like something you or your organization is interested in joining, please send HMC a message or contact: