Meeting the 4th Tuesday of each month at 8 AM at the Manitowoc County Health Department, this coalition focuses its work on ensuring children are ready for kindergarten and developing a comprehensive coordinated system of care for providing opportunities for healthy growth and development of all children from prenatal to 5 years of age.
There are currently 5 workgroups involved with the Investing Early Coalition.
- Reach Out and Read– A program that promotes early literacy through providers giving books at well baby checks as well as writing a “prescription” for parents to read aloud to their children. This group also helps promote the five early literacy practices; read, write, talk, sing, and play.
- Welcome Baby– A program that provides hospital visits to new and at risk mothers to assure awareness of community resources and provides an opportunity to sign up for the Connections Count or Home Visiting programs.
- Early Screening Team– A workgroup that assures that developmental screening is available to children at multiple sites in the community including health cares, daycares, and public screening events.
- Breastfeeding Coalition– A small group that supports and promotes breastfeeding in the community through providers, daycares, and businesses.
- Parent Cafes’– A workgroup that holds one a month cafes from October through May in order to provide parents the support and resilience they need to build relationships and build strong families.
Current Action Items
- Fundraising in order to purchase more books for the Reach Out and Read workgroup
- Help the coalition raise money by ordering food for our Brat Fry! Download the order form here
- Performing ASQ developmental screenings by the Early Screening Team
- Getting businesses and daycares designated breastfeeding friendly
Meetings are held on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 8:00 AM at the Manitowoc County Health Department.
If the Investing Early Coalition sounds like something you or your organization is interested in joining, please send HMC a message or contact: